Thursday, June 6, 2013

A Doozy of a Day & Polka Dots


 

The fun things about this outfit:
1. Sweater - Thrifted
2. Polka Dot Shirt - Thrifted
3. Watch, Bracelet & Necklace - Thrifted
4. Boots - Target
5. Leggings - Lost & Never Found...thus Inherited!

Ok, so last weekend was a doozy, for sure. 
Let's all take a little back peddle and I'll tell you about it!

It started Thursday, which I know isn't technically part of the weekend, 
but because I only work 3-4 hrs on Fridays I'm counting it. 

I spent Thursday at the High School volunteering. 
Maybe you remember me having a super sort post that day saying 
I was still processing and would write about it later. Well, now, is that later.

It all started with a room full of empty chairs. 

I helped out with Challenge Day (Check the organization out) which is facilitated 
by a team of two who travel around the country to different schools. Let me just 
give a shout out and say these two were gems! Absolutely great at connecting with
 students. And I know it takes a lot, because I hang out with some pretty rad high 
school girls on a regular basis. In fact these girls are why I even became a volunteer 
for the district in the first place. But now I'm rambling...

The day was set up to break down preconceived notions that students have 
about each other and show them that they have more in common then they think, 
as well as teaching that everyone needs to feel accepted. Sometimes those who bully, 
need it the most. Adults were really there to do everything the students did. 
We had no leadership role or power. We didn't even have much more information 
about what was coming next during the day. Were were on the same level as the students. In fact, really the only thing they emphasized in the pre-day adult meeting was what 
mandatory reporter needs to report and the fact that we need to be 10x more 
excited then the students ever would be. You know how students sometimes 
think they're too cool? Yeah, that's why. There were fun games and there 
were serious conversations and activities.

It was an emotionally packed day. Throughout 5 hours, at least 95% of 
participating students were crying and a large portion of the adults as well. 
I can honestly say that it opened my eyes. Teenagers go through a lot. 
I already knew that based on getting to know the girls that I know. I would think 
I wouldn't be surprised anymore when I hear a heartbreaking story of broken homes, 
and teenagers feeling alone, or not knowing where they're going to sleep from 
night to night and having to work because parents wont. Life is hard. I feel honored to 
be in the lives of the girls that I spend time with, some of whom I've been living life 
with for 4 years now. I'd encourage anyone to get out there and be a solid place for 
a youth to rely on. Be a mentor. Adults are around for a reason. Children & Youth 
need to look to someone to know how to go through this life. They need examples to 
set a standard for them not actions to show them what not to do.

And that, my friends, was Thursday.

The next 2 days I spent at our annual Plant Sale to raise money to take 
students to camp. My gang of girls is pretty pumped! Friday was full of 
unloading semi trucks of plants to set up at our Gresham Ford, who generously 
lets us use their car lot for the sale every single year! And Saturday was standing
on street corners with signs to direct cars to the big sale. Sun tan op? Yes please!

And Sunday I worked/went to church and headed over to the retreat place for Monday.

So it's already Thursday again, and I feel like last Thursday was just hours ago. 
A Doozy? I say so. 

Psalm 34:18
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
    and saves the crushed in spirit.


Psalm 73:26
My flesh and my heart may fail,
    but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a good but sad/crazy day. Great verses for today! Psalms 34:18 really hits home.
    Loving your outfit! I can't believe it's still cool enough for leggings. It's 90+ degrees in Texas.

    xo
    Caroline

    lovecarolineblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know Caroline. This outfit is from last week. And it is most deff to hot now for leggings and a sweatshirt dress!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips